Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Black Bean Sloppy Joes

I got this recipe from Stephanie and we really love it. I think it is best as left overs, then it seems to take on more of a 'Sloppy Joe' taste.


Black Bean Sloppy Joe's

1 bell pepper
2 chili jalapenos (Optional)
1 red onion (I use white)
2 garlic cloves (I use many more)

Cook together in a pot.

2 (15 oz) cans black beans
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander

Stir beans and seasonings into veggies. I mash up some of the beans.

1 can 15 oz fire roasted (or diced) tomatoes
1 Tblsp brown sugar
1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce

In a bowl blend tomatoes, sugar and W. sauce. Then add to bean mixture and simmer 3 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with lime (optional).


We have tried it on onion buns and it's really good. And for an extra healthy meal eat with home made whole wheat bread, carrots and a smoothie!!!




No comments: