Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Granola recipe


I have wanted to make granola for awhile now and have had most of the ingredients from Green Smoothie Girl's granola recipe on hand for awhile now. I finally made the time to do this!

I found this recipe in her 12 Step book and it looked simple enough. It is also on her video 1 page #9.

I actually did not change much at all to her recipe, which is not like me. I usually have to add or take away something...but, not this time. Her ingredients were simple to find and it was all easy to do.

I did, however, half her recipe. In her video she says she doubles her batch, but for my first time I wanted to make sure we liked it before investing so many ingredients into it. It was a hit!

I have sprinkled it on our morning cooked grains, such as barley, oat groats or steal cut oats with fresh fruit and coconut milk. I have eaten it plain with coconut milk and served it in a plastic cup with a spoon for an afternoon snack.

This is the halved recipe I used. To make the full recipe...just double the amounts I have listed.

Into a large bowl, combine:

4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/8 cup sesame seeds
1 Tblsp cinnamon

Into a sauce pan add:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup (or molasses)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 Tblsp vanilla

Heat this on the stove until barely melted. Stir well and pour over dry mixture.

Mix liquid and dry ingredients until distributed evenly. Bake 250 degrees, stirring every 20 minutes for 1-1 1/2 hours (or until dry).

Granola keeps in the pantry for 2 weeks or in the fridge for 6 weeks.

No comments: