Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Vegetable Fritta


I wanted grits and eggs one evening - an easy supper after a long day. My fridge was packed with lots of fresh veggies but my mind was at a loss at what great meal to make with them all.

I pulled the eggs out and found the grits.

Then grabbed a red bell pepper. It was so pretty.

The asparagus was washed and ready to use, simple enough.

I had just made some fresh almond milk that morning. (I usually add milk or water to my eggs to make them fluffy and go a little farther with out adding more eggs.)

And of course I must get the spinach, since I have all these other great, beautiful vegetables...

I had out a bell, so I grabbed an onion... they just go together ALWAYS!


The almond milk is still being strained through the orange colored cheese cloth on my 'milk' pitcher.

So, let's see what I can do with this...

Dice the bell pepper, onion, asparagus and spinach. Add to warmed skillet and saute in a bit of water (if needed).


While that is cooking, crack 3 or 4 eggs with some milk and whisk together. Add salt & pepper to season.


After the vegetables are soft, pour the milk/egg mixture into the skillet.



(not a great picture, but bear with me - I'm not a photographer...yet). Turn the heat on low and cover to cook. I had to work the spatula around the edges to get out pretty wedges when serving.

Serve with Prairie Grit Cakes and a slice of tomato.

2 comments:

Toni said...

your pictures look so good! this vegetable fritta looks good enough to make me want to try it too.

April said...

Thanks. It was fun putting this together...give it a try and let me know how it turns out.